Camden Newspapers Obituaries

Submitted by Ann Leuenberger - Town Editor

SWANSON, William
CAMDEN ADVANCE JOURNAL:  Thursday, November 1, 1883
Death of  "Father" Swanson
  Thursday evening William Swanson fell from the piazza, at the residence of his son, George Swanson, on Mexico Street, to the ground, a distance of 5 or 6 feet.  The family heard him fall and went to his assistance , but found he had picked himself up and was coming up the steps.  He complained of his shoulders, on which he struck, paining him, but aside from that there were no bruises or evident injures.  The old gentleman went upstairs to bed unassisted, and his son left him sleeping quietly when he retired for the night.  None of the family heard from him during the night, but found him dead in his bed the next morning.
 Mr. Swanson was born in the North of Scotland, January 1, 1797, and was therefore, at his death nearly 87 years of age.  He came to this country with his wife and children and settled in Lockport, when about 32 years of age, afterward moving to this town, where he has since resided with the exception of 2 or 3 years spent in Mexico.  In his native land he was in religion a Covenanter, but united with the Presbyterian church.  When he came to Camden he became a member of the Union Congregational church, from which he took a letter to the Mexico church, and on his return to Camden, 15 years ago last spring, united with the Presbyterian church.  He was a regular attendant, a great lover of the bible, and a man of strong convictions.  His wife died some eleven years ago, since which event, not withstanding the kind ministrations of his children, he has been a lonely old man, waiting for the summons calling him home.  He leaves three sons, George, John and William, Jr., all residents of this town and respected citizens, and a daughter, Mrs. Hugh Wasson, Amboy.
 The funeral was held in the Presbyterian church at 2:30 Sunday afternoon, Rev. E.N. Manley
delivering the discourse, assisted in the other exercises by Rev. E. Curtis.

Death in Camden of a Well Known and Respected Resident
      Camden, June 27 -- John Swanson, one of Camden's most highly respected and life-long residents, died at 7 o'clock this morning at the home of his son, Fred H. Swanson, on the Mexico road, two miles from this village.  Mr. Swanson had been ailing for several weeks and while staying with his daughter, Mrs. Milton Eastham, in this village, three weeks ago, was afflicted with heart trouble.  About a week ago he was removed to his son's home, where he gradually grew worse, death resulting from heart disease.  He was a son of the late William and Margaret Swanson, being born in this town on Sept. 17, 1833, where he had always resided on a farm on Mexico street.  He was united in marriage to Elizabeth Rush of this place, who died on Aug. 3, 1902.  He was a devoted member of the Presbyterian Church of this village.  Also a member of Philanthropic Lodge F. & A.M. and a member of J. Parsons Stone Post, G.A.R.  When a young man he enlisted in the 146th Regiment, Co E. of New York Volunteers, under Captain G. Lambey.  At the battle of Antietam Mr. Swanson was captured and spent some time in Andersonville and Libby prisons, being exchanged when it was not thought he could live to get north.  Mr. Swanson was an upright, honest and kind man and will be greatly missed from the community.  He was the last member of the old Swanson family.  The surviving relatives are a son, Fred H. Swanson at whose home he died, and Mrs. Milton Eastham of this village.  The funeral will be held at 2 p.m. on Saturday.

SWANSON, Mrs. John
Obituary from the Camden Advance Journal:  Thursday, August 7, 1902
Mrs. John Swanson, Nearly a Life-Long Resident, Died Monday Morning.
     Monday morning at 7:15 o'clock Mrs. John Swanson, nearly a life-long resident of this town and for 32 years residing on the Mexico Road about a mile and a half west of this village, expired after an illness of about six weeks.  She was a most estimable woman, highly repected by numerous friends.  Last fall she suffered from a severe cold and while she recovered from its effects her health began to decline and a complication of troubles set in.  Some six weeks ago she was taken worse and had since been confined to her bed.  At times she was a great sufferer, through all of which she exemplified a strong Christian character and death came peacefully as a reward to her patience.
     Mrs. Swanson was born in Verona October 2, 1830, and she was formerly Miss Elizabeth Rush daughter of the late George and Elizabeth Rush of this town.   In infancy she removed from Verona and her parents located in what was known as the German Settlement in the western part of the town of Camden.  October 10, 1853, she was married to John Swanson and their long matrimonial journey has been very happy.  They resided on the Hillsboro, North Hillsboro and Mexico roads, and for 32 years had occupied the farm where she died.  Deceased was a devoted member of the Presbyterian church in this village, with which society she had been connected nearly ever since its organization.  During the meetings in Curtiss Hall 34 years ago, conducted by Rev. E.N. Manley, Mrs. Swanson gave herself up to the Master and had ever since been following in the faith.  She was a kind wife and mother, a true friend, and all who knew her will regret to learn of her death.
     Beside her husband she is survived by one son, Fred H. Swanson of Camden and one daughter, Mrs. Milton Eastham of Ludlowville.  A son, who died in infancy and three daughters have passed away; Elizabeth, aged 12; Caroline aged 10; and Mrs. Maurice Roberts, whose death occurred in 1894 at the age of 26 years.  Two brothers and three sisters also survive:  Jacob Rush of Camden, Charles P. Rush of Hillsboro, Ill.; Mrs. Jacob Thalman of Geneva, Mrs. Geo. Lovenguth of this town and Mrs. Martin Thalman of Rome.
     The funeral will be held from her late home this afternoon at 2 o'clock, and her remains will be interred in the family plot in Forest Park Cemetery.  In the absence of her pastor, Rev. Thomas Wiffen of the Free Methodist church will officiate.

RUSH, Mrs. Elizabeth
Camden Advance Journal:  Thursday, March 3, 1887
      Mrs. Elizabeth Rush, widow of the late George Rush, died at the residence of her daughter, Mrs. George Livergood, near Hillsboro, on Sunday.  She was an old and respected resident of the town, and had she lived until July would have been 87 years old.  She leaves seven children, Jacob and George Rush, Mrs. John Swanson and Mrs. George Livergood of Camden, C. P. Rush of Hillsboro, Ills., Mrs. Jacob Thalman of Geneva, Mrs. Martin Thalman of Rome.  The funeral will be attended at Mr. Livergood's residence at 2 o'clock.
 RUSH - In Camden, February 28, 1887, Elizabeth, relict of the late George Rush, aged 86 years and 7 months.

RUSH, Jacob
June 12, 1909
For Many Years Operated Sash and Blind Factory, Planing Mill, etc., -- Resides Here 78 Years, Held Office in Village and Church, Was Widely Known and Honored by All
      The life of Jacob Rush peacefully terminated at his home in Second Street at 10:20 o'clock Saturday morning.  It was not unexpected.  For several years his arteries had been gradually hardening, foretelling that the spirit which has actuated his long and well filled years would soon take flight to its Master.  For nine days he had been confined to his bed, the end being daily anticipated.
     "Uncle Jake," the familiar address applied by his many friends, was a son of John and Elizabeth (Lovenguth) Rush, who came from Germany and landed in New York July 4th, 1828.  August 20, a trifle over a month later, in the city of Utica, where they had located, the subject of this sketch was born.  Three years later they came to Camden, and with the exception of one year, which he spent when he was eighteen in Westchester county, N.Y., Jacob Rush had ever since resided here.  In early life he learned the trade of carpenter and joiner which he followed until 1860, when he entered the sash and blind factory of Cox & Stone as partner, having a one-fourth interest.  At one time he was associated with G.J. Williams in the same business.  In 1881 he bought out his partners and  conducted the business alone very successfully.  Owing to advancing years, ten years later he sold the business to his sons.
      Mr. Rush was a loyal republican and had voted that ballot from the first organization of the party.  From time to time he had been honored by serving his townsmen as collector, overseer of the poor and assessor, being on the latter board for thirty years.  He united with the M.E. church in 1856, and for many years was a class leader and one of the official board in that society.  He was a man of sound principles, devoted to his family and home, and held in high regard throughout the community.
     Mr. Rush was twice married, his first wife being Amelia Howd of the town of Vienna, whom he married in 1855.  She passed away 21 years ago.  In 1889 he married Mrs. Helen M. Williams of Camden, who now survives, besides two sons and a step-daughter:  Horace J. Rush of this village, Howd B. Rush of Fort Plain and Mrs. Charles Wunsch of Rome.  He also leaves a brother and sister, Charles Rush of Hillsboro, Ill., and Mrs. Lucy Thalman of Rome.
      He had resided in his late home 54 years.  The house into which he moved upon his first marriage gave way to the present structure in 1860.
      The funeral was largely attended from the family residence at 4 o'clock Tuesday afternoon, Rev. F. L. Knapp officiating.  Interment was made in Forest Park Cemetery.  The bearers were Riley M. Rush, Charles Lovenguth, Fred H. Swanson and A. H. Percival.  Hymns were sung by John H. Cook.
      Those present from out of town were Mr. and Mrs. Charles Wunsch, Mrs. Lucy Thalman, Miss Nellie Thalman and Mrs. A. J. Broughton of Rome and H.B. Rush of Fort Plain.

Camden Advance Journal:  July 23, 1885
     John Peter Loevenguth was born in Bundwer Toffon, France, May 16, 1804.  At the age of fifteen he joined the Lutheran church of which he remained a member all his life.  In 1826 he volunteered in the French army and served 6 years under King Louis Philippe.  He sailed for America in the spring of 1833 and settled in Utica where he was married in September 1836, to Miss Mary Ann Keiser.  He came to Camden in the spring of 1841, where he has been a permanent and respected resident until his death, which occurred July 21st after a lingering illness in which he suffered greatly toward the last.  He leaves a wife, four children, 18 grandchildren and four great-grandchildren.  He attained the good old age of 81 years, 2 months and 5 days.

LOEVENGUTH - In Camden, July 21, 1885, Peter Loevenguth, aged 81 years.

Long-time Local Pipe Organist and Teacher Dies
F. H. Swanson Passes Away Suddenly at his Mexico Road Home --
Funeral Held Tuesday.
     The sudden death of Fred H. Swanson, who died instantly of heart attack at his home on the Mexico road Saturday, April 13, 1940, came as a great shock to his friends.  For more than a year his heart had been ailing, but Saturday he was as well as usual.  About 4 p.m. he started to go to the barn to feed the chickens.  Twenty minutes later his wife went into the woodshed and found him lying on the floor.  He was dead.  In his arms was his pet cat.  Apparently his heart had ceased to function as he stooped over to pick up the cat to take it to the barn.  There was no cut or abrasion from the fall, and his glasses were unbroken.
     Frederick Howard Swanson, son of John H. and Elizabeth Rush Swanson, was born May 4, 1866, in the house, where he died.  October 11, 1894, he married Miss Nina Myrtle Rice, the ceremony being performed by the Rev. J. P. Johnson in the Methodist Church at Cleveland, N.Y.
     Mr. Swanson was locally prominent as school teacher and pipe organist.  At the age of 19 years he took charge of the organ in the Presbyterian church, which he played for 23 consecutive years.  In 1908 he transferred his membership to the Methodist church and for the next 20 years presided there as organist.  He was a fine muscian and handled pipe organs with marked ability.
     He had been a life-long devoted churchman, having united, at the age of 13, with Presbyterian church.  For many years he had been a teacher in the Sunday schools of both Presbyterian and Methodist churchs.
    He had devoted nearly 40 years to school teaching, taking his first school at the age of 19 years.  He taught the Westdale village school 18 terms.  Other schools he presided over were Wolcott Hill, Preston Hill, Mexico St., Brick School, and Lambie District.  He also taught one year in Durhamville.
     Mr. Swanson was noted for his efficiency and loyalty as teacher and organist, and was one of Camden's most highly esteemed townsmen.  At 61 he retired and had since devoted his time to his small farm.
     Surviving besides his wife are two daughters, Mrs. Orville A. Manzer, Turin; Mrs. Lewis F. Lock, Camden; 2 grandchildren, Orville A. Manzer, Jr., and Betty Lock; 2 nephew, M. Earl Eastham, John E. Eastham, Camden.  A daughter Frederica, died in infancy.
     The funeral was held Tuesday at 2:30 p.m. at the J. Floyd Smith Funeral Home, Miner avenue.  The Rev. T. J. Williams, Methodist pastor, officiated, assisted by the Rev. Walter Suits of Mt. Pleasant, N.Y.
      Interment was in the family lot in Forest Park Cemetery.
      Bearers were former school students in his home district -- Wilfred Seubert, Walter Price, David Price, Carleton Milliman, Roy Miller, Leon Hall.
      Attendance at the service packed the Funeral Home and entire residence of Mr. and Mrs. Smith.
      From out of town were present:  Mr. and Mrs. O. A. Manzer and son, Turin; Mr. and Mrs. Cyrus Rice, Mrs. Ruth Ingersoll, Fulton; Mrs. Harold Parker, Oswego; Mr. and Mrs. Lunda Audas, Rome; Mr. and Mrs. Charles Jennings, Cleveland; Mr. and Mrs. Roland Dickinson, Bernhard's Bay; Mrs. E. G. Rice, Mr. Harold Rice, Miss Mildred Rice, Miss Mary Rice, Mr. and Mrs. Spencer Manzer, Syracuse; Mrs. Geo. Graves, Oneida; Mrs. Chas. Wickman, Rome; Mrs. Emma Groff, Mr. Jas. Brown, Utica; Mr. and Mrs. Clarence Hubbard, Mexico; Rev. Walter Suits and wife, Mt. Pleasant; Mrs. Herman Loomis, Mrs. Ida Armstrong, Maple Flats; Mr. and Mrs. Isaac Dodd, Mrs. Lemuel Dodd, New Woodstock, Mr. and Mrs. Will Dodd, Petersboro; Mrs. Charles Miller, Rome; Eugene S. Williams, Oneida Castle.
    "He was a fine man," a common expression of friends since the passing of Mr. Swanson, represents one of the finest tributes that could be paid the departed.

Obituary from the Camden Advance Journal:  Thursday, December 9, 1909
Passed Away in Westdale Saturday at the Home of Daughter, Mrs. C. H. Sweatland
     Westdale, Dec. 9 -- Esick Sweet, aged 68, died Saturday morning, Dec. 4th, at the home of his daughter, Mrs. C. H. Sweatland, of this place.  Mr. Sweet had been ill fourteen months with heart trouble and a complication of diseases, being unable to leave his chair or to lie down.  He was tenderly cared for during his illness by his daughter and son-in-law, from whose home the funeral was held Monday at 2 p.m., Rev. O. M. Owen officiating.  He is survived by his wife and four daughters, Mrs. C. H. Sweatland of Westdale, Mrs. Cora Congdon of McConnellsville, Mrs. Alice Hamilton of Fulton and Mrs. Sidney Price of Camden.

Camden Advance Journal:  June 10, 1937
 Mrs. Cora Congdon Called In Death
 Widow of Milo Congdon, Formerly of McConnellsville -- Funeral Largely Attended Sunday Afternoon.
      Carterville, June 10 -- Mrs. Cora Congden, died June 3, 1937, 1 p.m., at the home of her son, Guy Congden, Carterville, after failing health for the past year.  For two months she had been seriously ill.
     The deceased was formerly Cora Sweet, daughter of the late Esizk and Laney Strobeck Sweet and was born June 26, 1863.  She had spent her whole life in this section.  April 22, 1879 she was married to Milo Congden of McConnellsville.  He died 26 years ago.  Mrs. Congden was highly respected by a wide circle of friends who will miss her.
     She leaves a daughter, Mrs. William Scales of Camden; four sons, George, Jess, Guy, and Charles; two sisters, Mrs. Libbie Price and Mrs. Mary Sweatland of Camden, and 19 grandchildren and 4 great-grandchildren.
      The funeral was largely attended from her home on Sunday with the Rev. F. F. Meyer of Trintiy Episcopal Church, Camden, officiating.  Mrs. Sanborn and Mrs. Hodges sang "Nearer My God to Thee" and "Good Night and Good Morning."  Bearers were Ivan, Ray and Ernest Sweatland, David, Walter and Charles Price, nephews.
     Mrs. Congdon was present when Ernest Sweatland was born, being first to care for and carry him.  A singular coincidence, that on his 45th birthday he was one of the bearers to carry her remains to their last resting place.

Camden Advance Journal:  November, 1912
Death of Milo E. Congden, Life-Long Resident of This Place.
McConnellsville, Nov. 7 -- Milo E. Congden, a life-long resident of this place, died Tuesday afternoon at 2 o'clock at his home where he was born August 25, 1854 and where his entire life was spent.  He had been ill a year from paralysis.  His father was Philo Congden, formerly of Camden and his mother's maiden name was Sally Ann Dibble of Vienna.  Thirty-three years ago Mr. Congden married Cora Sweet, who survives with six children.  The funeral will be held from the family residence today at 2 p.m., Rev. Mr. Kennedy officiating, and burial in the McConnellsville cemetery.
 CONGDEN -- In McConnellsville, N.Y., November 5, 1912, Milo E. Congden, aged 58 years.

Obituary from the Camden Advance Journal:  Friday, October 9, 1953
Chas. Congden Dies In Buffalo Hospital
NORTH BAY -- Charles E. Congden died Monday night in a Buffalo hospital where he had been a patient for the past four weeks.
     He was born March 18, 1886, in McConnellsville, the son of Milo and Cora Sweet Congden.  On January 8, 1913, in Camden, he married the former Sara Price.  The ceremony was performed by the Rev. Frederick Maunder, Methodist minister.
     Before moving to North Bay in 1927, the family resided on Mexico Road.  Mr. Congden was a farmer, roofer and slater for a number of years.
     He was a member of the North Bay Methodist Church and of Camden Grange 354.
     Surviving are his wife; 2 daughters, Mrs. George Clemens, North Syracuse; and Mrs. Walter Farnholtz, Ilion; 3 sons, Clinton and Edmund, North Bay; and Philo, Liverpool; 14 grandchildren; 2 brothers, Jesse McConnellsville, and Guy, Carterville; and 1 sister, Mrs. Alice Scales, Camden.
     Funeral services will be held Friday at 2 p.m. at the B. A. Sanborn and Son Funeral Home, and burial was in Forest Lawn Cemetery.
     The Rev. Carlton Van Ornum officiated at the services and bearers will be Howard Suits, Richard Price, David Price, Clayton Montross, Fred Loomis and Paul Meaney.

Camden Advance Journal:  June 3, 1943
Mrs. Mary E. Sweatland Dies
   Mrs. Mary E. Sweatland, widow of Charles H. Sweatland, passed to eternal rest at 5:30 yesterday morning, June 2, 1943, at Rome, where she had been hospitalized since January.
     Born in Clay, N.Y., Jan. 29, 1865, Mary Sweatland was the daughter of the late Esick and Laney Stroback Sweet.  Fifty-two years ago she was married to Charles H. Sweatland, a railroad worker who became one of the veteran section foreman of this division of the New York Central railroad.  Mr. Sweatland passed away February 15, 1930.  She had been a resident of Camden and Westdale 46 years.  She retained her membership to the Westdale Methodist Church.
     She leaves three sons, Ernest of Williamstown, Ray of Pulaski and Ivan of Camden; 20 grandchildren and a sister, Mrs. Sidney Price, Camden.
     The funeral will be conducted from the Sanborn Funeral home in Main Street Saturday at 2 p.m., with the Rev. W. H. Bradley officiating.  Burial in Forest Park Cemetery.

SWEATLAND -- In Rome, N.Y., June 2, 1943, Mrs. Mary E. Sweatland, Camden, widow of Charles H. Sweatland, aged 78 years.

Camden Advance Journal:  Feb. 20, 1930
Mr. Sweatland Dies at Supper Table.
  Former New York Central Foreman Charles H. Sweatland passed away very suddenly 6:50 o'clock Saturday evening while eating supper.  A chocking spell brought on a heart atttack that proved fatal within three minutes.  The tradgedy came as a great shock to his family and friends.  At times, for many years he had suffered from a heart ailment which had become more intense of late.  However, he was able to be around his home practically every day.
     Charles Henry Sweatland was born in Rome, July 30, 1858.  His parents were the late William and Mary Jane Smith Sweatland.  He had a wide acquaintance throughout this immediate section where his whole life has been spent.  For thirty-five years he had been an employe of this division of the New York Central railroad, twenty-eight years of the time serving as a section foreman.  He began his railroad career on the Camden section, later being sent out as a supply foreman for several years.  As permanent foreman he had charge in Sterling for 5 years, Westdale 14 years and Camden the last six years before reaching the age limit and retirement.  He retired a year ago last August.
     He was a member of the Brotherhood of Maintenance of Ways Employees, and of the R., W. & O. Pioneer Chapter Veterans Association of the New York Central.  He was a member of the First Methodist Episcopal church of Camden.
     Mr. Sweatland had twice married, his first wife being Lillie Plummer.   January 1, 1890 he married Mary Sweet, who survives with three sons:  Ernest C., Williamstown; Ray A., Westdale; Ivan E., Camden; 13 grandchildren and 1 great-grandchild; also a sister Mrs. E. A. Grinnell, Sr., Camden who is the last of a family of eight children.  The deceased was the youngest boy in the family.
     Few men had more friends than Mr. Sweatland.  He was held in high regard by all.  His good character his genial personality and kindly heart lives on in memory long to endure, and in railroad circles "Pop" Sweatland, as he was familiarly called, will be rememberd for his faithful and efficient services and gentlemanly conduct as a boss.
     Among the large number of friends present at the funeral of Mr. Sweatland Monday were fourteen or fifteen railroad men of the local division whose presence was a handsome tribute and showed the warm place the deceased held in the hearts of his railroad associates.  The services were at 2 o'clock from the family residence and 2:30 in the Methodist church.  The Rev. C. G. Roop  officiated.  Mrs. Sanborn and Mrs. Roop the latter playing the accompaniment, sang.  Floral tributes were many and most beautiful.  the active bearers were Section Foremen Walter Hocomb, of Altmar; Thomas Taylor, of Laconia; A. D. Butts and Alex Woodside of Rome; Claude Randall of Camden; and John Lyman of the local section crew.  Honorary bearers at the church included Assistant Supervisor George Cook, of Lacona; Foreman French, of Lacona; James Hale, of Richland; Allie Williams, of Adams; Felix DeParma, of Blossvale; David Tanner of Williamstown.  Interment will be made in the family lot in Forest Park cemetery when spingtime comes.
     Among the relatives and friends from out of town, besides members of the immediate family, who were present at the fuenral were Mrs. John Cox, of Fulton; Lynn Sweatland, Syracuse; Roy Sweatland, Rome; Miss Laura Sweatland, Mr. and Mrs. George Grinnell, Mr. and Mrss. Jesse Congden, Mrs. Josephine Congden, McConnellsville; Mr. and Mrs. Charles Congden, North Bay; Mrs. Leon Dean, North Osceola.

Obituary from the Camden Advance Journal:  Thursday, August 28, 1947
Mrs. Elizabeth Price Dies at Age of 80
   Mrs. Elizabeth Price, 80, died August 22, 1947, in the home of her daughter, Mrs. Floyd Scoville, 38 Oswego Street.
     She was born in McConnellsville May 5, 1867, a daughter of Esizk and Laney Strobeck Sweet.  On November 12, 1887, she was married to Sidney D. Price, who died August 18, 1931.
     For the past year Mrs. Price had lived with Mrs. Scoville, and during the time before that, after leaving the Price farm on Mexico Road several years ago, she visited among her other children.
     She leaves two sons, David S. and Walter C., Camden; three daughters, Mrs. Charles Congdon, North Bay; Mrs. Walter Nash, Rome, and Mrs. Floyd Scoville, Camden; 19 grandchildren and 11 great-grandchildren; several nieces and nephews.
     Mrs. Price was a member of Trinity Episcopal Church and the auxiliary of Arthur S. Moran Post, 66, American Legion.
     Funeral services were held Monday at 2 pm at the B.A. Sanborn and Son Funeral Home, and burial was in Forest Park Cemetery.  The Rev. W.A. Braithwaite officiated.  Bearers were Edmund and Richard Price, Edmund and Clinton Congdon, George Clemons and Howard Hummell.
     Sunday evening a large delegation of members of Arthur S. Moran Post auxiliary carried out their ritual service at Mrs. Scoville's home where the body rested before being brought to the funeral home for services Monday.
     A profusion of flowers marked the rites, the room being massed with tributes.

Obituary from the Camden Advance Journal:  Thursday, August 20, 1931
Life-long Farmer of Town Whose Nearly 66 Years Had Been Spent in Same House -- Funeral Friday
      Sidney D. Price, a life-long and well known farmer of the Mexico Road, this town, passed away at his home at 7 o'clock Tuesday evening after failing health for a year or more.  His condition had been critical for some time.  Mr. Price had many friends who will regret to learn that he has gone.
     A son of the late David and Elizabeth Carleton Price, the deceased was born September 29, 1865, in the same home where he had spent his life and where he died.  November 12, 1887, he married Miss Elizabeth Sweet, who survives with six children, three sons and three daughters:  Walter C., David S., Charles E., of Camden; Mrs. Charles E. Congden, North Bay; Mrs. Floyd Scoville of this village and Miss Celia Price who resides at the family home.  He also leaves one sister Mrs. William Frey of Camden and one brother, Walter of California and 12 grandchildren.
     Mr. Price was a member of Trinity church.  The Rev. F.F. Meyer, rector, will conduct the funeral which will be held Friday afternoon at 2 o'clock at the home.  Burial in Forest Park Cemetery, this village.

Obituary from the Camden Advance Journal:  Thursday, March 24, 1904
An Aged and Well-Known Citizen Who Died Monday in her 79th Year.
  At 6 o'clock Monday morning Mrs. Elizabeth Price, widow of the late David Price, expired at her home on the Mexico Road farm about four miles west of this village.  Five weeks ago she was taken ill with dropsical trouble about the heart, which was the cause of her death.  She had been more then ordinarily blessed with good health during her long existence, and seldom if ever before her final sickness was she under the doctor's care.
     Mrs. Price was formerly Miss Elizabeth Carleton, daughter of James and Eleanora Carleton.  She was born in County Mead, Ireland, October 25, 1825, and came to this country with her parents when she was 22 years of age.  They came directly to this town and she had always remained here.  On June 1, 1854 she became the wife of David Price, who died January 24, 1872.  For 50 years she had resided on the farm where she died Mrs. Price was highly respected and her death will be much regretted.  She was a member of Trinity Episcopal church, a kind neighbor and loving mother.  Besides a large circle of friends she leaves to mourn her loss five children - Charles J. and Walter Price of Chico, Cal., D. Sidney Price, Mrs. Sarah Patchen and Mrs. William Wall of Camden.  A son James William, who died at the age of 9 years, were the remainder of the seven children born to Mrs. Price.  She also leaves two brothers, John R. and James Carleton of this town, and 12 grandchildren and 1 great-grandchild.
     The funeral is to be held today at 12 o'clock from her late home and her remains interred in Forest Park Cemetery.
PRICE -- In Camden, N.Y., March 21, 1904, Mrs. Elizabeth Carleton Price, aged 78 years, 4 months and      25 days.

Camden Advance Journal:  April 2, 1874
PRICE - In Camden, March 26, 1874, Mrs. Mary Price, wife of Mr. Richard Price, and daughter of James Carleton, Esq., in the 52nd year of her age.
     Mrs. Price was faithful in all the relations of life.  She was a great sufferer during her protracted sickness, but she was patient and submissive, and her end was peaceful and full of hope.  In her death her husband has sustained irreparble loss, and her children mourn the death of an affectionate mother.  Her deeds and words of love have embalmed her memory in the recollections of her parents, relatives and friends.  Her funeral was attended from Trinity church the 28th.

Camden Advance Journal:  February 18, 1904
One of Camden's Oldest Citizens Expired Sunday -- Aged 85 Years.
     From the general breaking down of his once rugged constitution and the infirmities incident to old age Richard Price expired at his home in Hillsboro on Sunday.  he was one of the old lnadmarks of the town having resided on the Price homestead since 1849.  Deceased was born in Ireland September 8, 1818 and on February 8, 1842 married Mary eldest daughter of the late James Carleton.  In 1849 with their three small children, Mr. and Mrs. Price sailed for America.  While enroute the youngest of the children died and was buried at sea.  Mr. Price was one of the early settlers of that section of Camden, and cleared and developed the farm on which he spent his days and died.  In addition to farming, he was connected with the Horace Dunbar, P. H. and C. C. Costello Lumber Co. which formerly did business in this village.  For six years he had been totally blind.  He was a member of the Elpis church.  Surviving are three sons and three daughters, Richard Price of Calif., Mrs. John Whaley of S.D., Mrs. Sarah Towsley of Amboy, N.Y., and Charles Price, James C. Price and Mrs. John Marsh of Camden.
     The funeral will be held at 11 a.m. today at the home of his daughter, Mrs. John Marsh of N. Hillsboro.  Rev. Richard Abbott officiating.
PRICE -- In Camden, N.Y., Feb. 14, 1904, Richard Price aged 85 years and 5 months.

Camden Advance Journal:  December 21, 1911
  Had Been Declining in Health for Two Years -- End Came Tuesday Morning at 4:30 -- Was Nearly 80     Years Old and Had Lived Here Since Age of 15 -- Funeral at Family Homestead This Afternoon.
     It was no small degree of sorrow and regret that followed the announcement that John R. Carleton had died at his home on the Mexico road Tuesday morning at 4:20 o'clock.  Although he had been failing in health for a long time, he had been confined to his bed for only two days.  About two years ago he suffered a paralytic shock which was the first apparent break in his strong and robust constitution.  From that time he had gradually declined, refraining from all activities and being confined to his home most of the time.  Sunday afternoon about three o'clock he was taken worse, suffering from valvular trouble of the heart.  Although his physician, Dr. Towsley, was immediately summoned, his case was beyond medical aid.
     Mr. Carleton was born in Ireland June 4, 1832, a son of the late James and Ellen (Raymond) Carleton.  When he was fifteen years of age he came with his parents to America and settled in Camden on the Mexico road, very near to the home in which he has lived for about half a century.  In fact, the Carleton brothers, after reaching manhood married and settled in close proximity on the Mexico road, where they have been leading farmers of that thoroughfare.  Deceased has been in the sawmill business all his life.  Following his marriage, for a short time he conducted a mill in the Camden Woods, which he abandoned when he purchased the property where he has since resided.  Mr. Carleton has always been a very active man -  industrious, honorable and upright.  From our townsmen he will be greatly missed, and in his home, where he was a devoted husband and father, his loss is keenly felt.  He was a member of Trinity Episcopal church and assisted in building the present church building.
     He leaves to mourn his loss besides his wife nine of the thirteen children who have blessed their union.  The surviving children are:  Mrs. Judson Freeman, Mrs. George W. Whaley, Mrs. Adolph Hiltbrand, Mrs. Tracy Yorton, Mrs. Eugene Helmer, Misses Lulu and Flora Carleton, and James and Alonzo Carleton, all of Camden.  He also leaves one aged brother, James Carleton of this town.
     The funeral will be held from his late home this afternoon at 2 o'clock, Rev. George D. Ashley, rector of Trinity Episcopal church, officiating.  Burial will be made in Forest Park Cemetery.

Camden Advance Journal:  Thursday, November 16, 1916
Deceased One of Camden's Long-Time and Highly Esteemed Residents -- Member of Trinity Church -- Large Family and Many Friends Mourn Her Death.
      At the family homestead three miles west of this village, on the Mexico road, at ten o'clock Monday morning occurred the death of Mrs. Ellen Carleton, widow of the late John R. Carleton.  Her illness dated back for several months and death was not unexpected.
     Mrs. Carleton, daughter of Charles and Ellen (Dorrity) Carleton, was born in Kingston, Canada, July 12, 1842.  She became the wife of Mr. Carleton April 8, 1860 and they immediately took up their home on the Mexico road where several years before Mr. Carleton had established a saw mill and lumber business.  His death occurred Dec. 19, 1911.
     Mrs. Carleton was a member of Trinity Episcopal church and a wife and mother whose faithfulness and devotion to her home and family were chief among the many beautiful traits of her character.  She was highly respected by all who knew her and her death is mourned by a host of friends.
     She was mother of thirteen children, nine of whom survive.  They are James C., Alonzo D., Mrs. Judson Freeman, Flora E., Mrs. George Whaley, Mrs. Eugene Helmer, Mrs. Tracy Yorton, Mrs. Adolph Hiltbrand, Mrs. Merritt Babcock, all of Camden.
     The funeral will be held at her late residence this afternoon at 2 o'clock, Rev. George D. Ashley officiating.  Burial in Forest Park Cemetery.
     The sympathy of the entire community goes out to the family in their bereavement.
CARLETON -- In Camden, N.Y., November 13, 1916, Mrs. Ellen Carleton, relict of John R. Carleton, aged 74 years 4 months.

Camden Advance Journal:  January 2, 1902
Died From Pneumonia
William P. Carleton of Mexico Street Passes Away
 About 5 o'clock Saturday afternoon, at the home of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. John R. Carleton, on the Mexico road, occurred the death from pneumonia, of William Pembroke Carleton, after an illness of four days.  Mr. Carleton had recently had a grip cold was supposed to be getting along nicely until last week Tuesday.
     The deceased was born in Camden November 23, 1861, and had always lived in this town.  By trade he was an engineer and divided his time in his father's steam mill and on the farm.  He was a social and pleasant young man who had a host of warm friends, and was a general favorite in the home so suddenly bereaved.
     Beside his parents he leaves two brothers and seven sisters, James and Alonzo Carleton, Mrs. Addie Bentley, Mrs. George W. Whaley, Mrs. Eugene Helmer and Misses Flora, Susie, Clara and Lulu Carleton, all of Camden.
     The funeral was held from the home of his parents Tuesday afternoon at 2 o'clock, Rev. A. E. Dunham of Trinity Episcopal church officiating.  Interment in Forest Park Cemetery.
 CARLETON - In Camden, N.Y., December 28, 1901, William Pembroke Carleton, aged 40 years.

Camden Advance Journal:  Thursday, March 1, 1923
Received Final Summons Friday Evening - Native of Ireland - Funeral was Held From Home Sunday Afternoon.
    Mr. James Carleton, one of the last of the early settlers of the Mexico road, died Friday night at 7:30 o'clock at his home about 3 miles west of the village.  He was one of the oldest citizens of the town, being in his 94th year.  He was highly respected and will be missed as an old landmark.
   Mr. Carleton was born in Ireland September 10, 1829, the son of the late James and Ellen (Raimond) Carleton and emigrated with his parents to America in 1849, coming direct to Camden and settled on the farm where he died.
  He immediately became engaged in extensive lumbering and farming purchasing 800 acres of land and erecting a fine home, mill, cheese factory, and many other buildings.  His farm was one of the most productive in Oneida county.  Beautifying his surroundings was a hobby with him and flowers, shrubbery and fruit received a great deal of care.  He was an exceptionally keen business man of fine old fashioned courtesy which he retained to the very last.  He was a member of Trinity Episcopal church and its oldest communicant giving liberally to its many activities.
  January 10, 1861, he married Catherine Carleton of Belleville, Canada, who died March 11, 1885.  To them were born four children, two of whom survive.  July 12, 1898 he married Ida Belle Dixon of Camden, who tenderly cared for him through his declining years.  Besides Mrs. Carleton there survives two sons, William and Otto, both of Camden.
   The funeral was held Sunday afternoon at 3 o'clock from the homestead, Rev. Cecil Taylor officiating.  Mrs. Sanborn sang two beautiful selections.  The bearers were Messrs. Charles Price, Judson Freeman and Tracy Yorton.  In the spring Mr. Carleton is to be interred in the family plot in Forest Park Cemetery, his remains resting in the vault until that time.
CARLETON - In Camden, N.Y., February 23, 1923, James Carleton aged 93 years, 5 months and 13 days.

Camden Advance Journal:  December 1938
Otto Carleton
  Otto Carleton, life-long resident of the Mexico road, died about 7 o'clock this morning in a Rome hospital after several weeks' illness.
  Mr. Carleton was born on the Carleton homestead, Mexico road, October 4, 1872, son of the late Catherine and James Carleton.  His entire life had been spent in this town.  He never married.  He was a member of Trinity Episcopal church, this village.
  His only survivors are several cousins, his last brother, William, passing on in 1936.

Camden Advance Journal:  Thursday, April 24, 1913
Former Camdenite Passed Away in California Tuesday Afternoon.
   News has been received of the demise of Charles J. Price, a native of Camden, which occurred at his home in Chico, Cal., Tuesday afternoon at 4:20 o'clock.  Deceased was born in Camden February 26, 1855, the oldest of seven children of the late David and Elizabeth Price.  He went to California in 1874.  He was an engineer by trade and had been employed in the electric light plant there until about one year ago, when he was stricken with a paralytic shock.  Later Bright's disease developed and he gradually failed until the end.  Besides his wife, formerly Fannie Morley, of California, he leaves four sisters and brothers, who are:  Walter G. Price of Chico, Cal., Sidney Price, Mrs. Frank Hall and Mrs. William Wall of Camden, to whom much sympathy is extended.
PRICE - In Chico, Cal., April 22, 1913, Charles J. Price, formerly of Camden, aged 58 years.

Camden Advance Journal:  January 11, 1923
Passed Away Yesterday Afternoon at Her Home on Third Street -- Funeral Saturday at Trinity Church.
    Mrs. Sarah Hall passed away yesterday afternoon 2:30 o'clock at her home on Third Street.  The death of Mrs. Hall brings sadness to a large circle of friends.  She had been in critical condition for a week as a result of paralytic shock.
     Sarah Price, as was her maiden name, was a native and almost lifelong resident of Camden.  She was born on the Price homestead, west of the village, July 31, 1859.  Her parents were David and Elizabeth Carleton Price.
     Deceased had twice married.  Her first husband was Amenzo Patchen, to whom she was married in October 1881.  Mr. Patchen built the Hall house on Main Street where they began married life.  Later they moved to California, where Mr. Patchen died in 1891.  His widow then returned to her home here and had ever since resided in this village.  Jan. 6, 1909 her second marriage occurred , this time becoming the wife of Frank Hall.  Mr. Hall passed away April 19, 1916.
     Mrs. Hall had long been a member of Trinity Episcopal church.  She was a very kind hearted woman, a good neighbor and will be greatly missed by all who knew her.
      About a year ago Mrs. Hall leased her Mexico Street home and moved to another residence she owned on Third Street, where she died.
     Left to mourn her death are two brothers, Walter Price of Chico, Cal., Sidney D. Price of Camden and a sister, Mrs. William Wall of Oswego Street, this village.
     The funeral will be held Saturday afternoon 2:00 o'clock at Trinity Episcopal church.  Rev. Cecil Taylor, her pastor, will have charge of the services.  Interment in Forest Park cemetery.
 HALL--In Camden, N.Y., Jan. 10, 1923, Mrs. Sarah Hall, widow of Frank Hall, aged 63 years, 5 months, and 9 days.

Camden Advance Journal:  April 11, 1937
Wellknown Camden Woman Dies In Florida
Mrs. Frey, Oswego St., Passed in St. Petersburg After Ilnness of Three Weeks.
     Word was received in Camden last week of the death in St. Petersburg, Fla., on April 3rd, of Mrs. William Frey, Oswego Street resident, following a serious illness of three weeks.  For several seasons, Mr. and Mrs. Frey have spent the winter months in Florida and  until this season both haved enjoyed good health.  Mr. Frey is at present under the care of physicians but expects to be able to come home some time in May and will bring his wife's remains to Camden.
     Mary E. Price was born on February 22, 1868 on the Price homestead on the Mexico road.  Her parents were the late David and Elizabeth Carleton Price.  Forty-seven years ago she became the bride of William Wall then owner of considerable property in Panther Lake region.  They made their home at various times in Hillsboro, Panther Lake, Manlius and Camden, Mr. Wall's death occurring several years ago at their home on Oswego Street.
     In 1931 Mrs. Wall was married to William Fey, then of Syracuse and Panther Lake, the Rev. F. E. Miller, pastor then of the Presbyterian church, performing the ceremony.  Since their marriage they have resided in Camden.
     Surviving besides her husband is a son Charles W. Wall, a Canadian World War veteran at Williard State Hospital, a brother, Walter Price, Gridley, Calif.; several nieces and nephews, one in Georgia, one in Oregon, six in California, and Mrs. Chas. Congden, North Bay, Mrs. Floyd Scoville, Miss Celia Price, David, Walter and Charles Price, all of Camden.

Obituary from Camden Advance Journal:  Thursday, August 1, 1963
Walter C. Price, 75, World War Veteran
   Walter C. Price, 75, of 50 Liberty Street retired owner of a local trucking and wood finishing business, died Saturday in Canandaigua Veterans' Hospital.
     He was born in Camden and was a World War I veteran.  He married Eloise Atherton in 1935 in Sennet.  He was a member of Trinity Episcopal Church; Camden, a life member and past commander of Moran Post, American Legion, and was a chairman of the building committee that planned the Legion Home.
     Besides his wife he leaves a daughter, Mrs. Clara Richardson, Camden; a stepson, Leon Atherton of Olean; three sisters Mrs. Sarah Congdon, North Bay, Mrs. Floyd Scoville, Camden; and Mrs. Walter Nash, Oneida; and a brother, David Price, Camden.
     The funeral was at 1:30 Wednesday at the Sanborn Funeral Home with the Rev. Terrell Warren and the Rev. Ernest W. Bittner, officiating.  Burial was in Forest Lawn Cemetery.  A Legion service was held Tuesday.

Camden Advance Journal:  Thursday, October 20, 1910
  Thursday afternoon between 2 and 3 o'clock, Millie Widtman, wife of Walter C. Price, died at the home of her sister, Mrs. John Conniff about one and a half miles west of this village on the Mexico road.  Her death had been daily expected for some time, as for about a year she had been gradually failing from consumption.  She was born in this town June 9, 1886, and had always lived here.  Her parents were the late Lewis and Julia Widtman.  Many friends mourn her untimely death and are greatly saddened over the pathetic close of her young life.  Besides her husband she leaves an infant son; a sister, Mrs. John Conniff, and a brother Charles Widtman, to all of whom sincere sympathy is extended.
     The funeral was held from St. John's church Saturday morning at 10 a.m., Rev. Father Tiernan officiating.  Burial was made in the family plot in St. John's cemetery.
PRICE - In Camden, N.Y., October 13, 1910, Mrs. Walter C. Price, in her 25th year.

Obituary from the Queen Central News:  Tuesday, November 13, 1990
Rites Held For Clara Scoville
     Mrs. Clara E. Scoville, 81, of Taberg Road, Camden, died Nov. 5, 1990, at the home of her son, Louis Richardson in Summerville, S.C., where she was visiting.
     Born Sept. 14, 1909, in Camden, she was the daughter of Walter and Elizabeth Widtman Price.  Mrs. Scoville graduated from Camden High School in 1928.
     She married Chester Kramer in 1929.  In 1948 she married Louis Richardson.  Mr. Richardson died in 1963.  She married Floyd Scoville in 1965.  Mr. Scoville died in 1977.
    Mrs. Scoville was a member of Trinity Episcopal Church and the Camden American Legion Auxiliary.
    Surviving besides her son are another son, Walter Kramer, Camden; a daughter Mrs. Robert (Clare) Kotary, Floyd; a stepson, Roy Scoville, Camden; a stepdaughter, Mrs. Herm (Laura) Schinn, Camden; 12 grandchildren and 2 great-grandchildren.
     Services were held Nov. 8 at the Camden Funeral Home.  Burial was in Forest Lawn Cemetery.
    Memorial contributions may be made to the Heart Fund..

Obituary from Camden Advance Journal:  Thursday, August 1, 1963
Walter C. Price, 75, World War Veteran
      Walter C. Price, 75, of 50 Liberty Street retired owner of a local trucking and wood finishing business, died Saturday in Canandaigua Veterans' Hospital.
     He was born in Camden and was a World War I veteran.  He married Eloise Atherton in 1935 in Sennet.  He was a member of Trinity Episcopal Church; Camden, a life member and past commander of Moran Post, American Legion, and was a chairman of the building committee that planned the Legion Home.
     Besides his wife he leaves a daughter, Mrs. Clara Richardson, Camden; a stepson, Leon Atherton of Olean; three sisters Mrs. Sarah Congdon, North Bay, Mrs. Floyd Scoville, Camden; and Mrs. Walter Nash, Oneida; and a brother, David Price, Camden.
     The funeral was at 1:30 Wednesday at the Sanborn Funeral Home with the Rev. Terrell Warren and the Rev. Ernest W. Bittner, officiating.  Burial was in Forest Lawn Cemetery.  A Legion service was held Tuesday.

Obituary from the Camden Advance Journal:  Thursday, November 25, 1971
Mrs. Sara Congden's Services on Friday
NORTH BAY -- Mrs. Sara E. Congden, 79, a resident of Mullholland Road for the past 40 years died Monday in Rome Hospital.
     She was born April 19, 1892 in Camden, the daughter of Sidney and Elizabeth Sweet Price.
     Mrs. Congden was married to Charles Congden on January 8, 1913 in Camden.  He died October 6, 1953.
     She was a graduate of Camden school, a member of Vienna United Methodist Church, and a life member of Camden Grange.
     Survivors include two daughters, Mrs. George (Dora) Clemens of North Syracuse; Mrs. Dean (Lucille) Betts of Pennellville; three sons, Clinton of North Bay, Edmund of Camden and Philo  of Bridgeport; a sister, Mrs. Walter (Celia) Nash, Oneida; 16 grandchildren, 19 great-grandchildren, and several nieces and nephews.
     The funeral will be at 11 a.m. Friday at the Sanborn Funeral home, Camden.  Burial will be in Forest Lawn Cemetery, Camden.
     Calling hours wil be from 2 to 4 and 7 to 9 p.m. Wednesday and from 7 to 9 p.m. Thursday.

Obituary from the Camden Advance Journal:  Thursday, February 6, 1964
Perform Funeral For David S. Price
   David S. Price, 68, of 39 Elm St. retired Town of Camden Highway Superintendent, died unexpectedly Jan. 28 in Lakeland, Fla., where he had gone to spend the winter.
     Mr. Price served as highway superintendent from 1936 through 1960, and upon his retirement he was feted at a testimonial dinner at which Harold V. Kirch, town supervisor, was host.  Mr. Price was presented a gold watch in recognition of his service to the town.
    Son of Sidney and Elizabeth Sweet Price, he was born in Camden, Sept. 15, 1895 and on March 23, 1921, in Williamstown he married Eva Roberts.
    From 1926 to 1933 he was associated with his brother, the late Walter Price, in the trucking business.
    He was a member of Trinity Episcopal Church, Philanthroic Lodge, F&AM, Darius Chapter, RAM, a member and former chief of the Camden Fire Dept., and member of Camden Lodge of Odd  Fellows.
    An overseas veteran of World War I, he was also a charter member of the Arthur S. Moran Post, American Legion.
    Surviving besides his wife, are two sisters, Mrs. Sarah Congdon North Bay and Mrs. Walter Nash, Oneida.
    The funeral was held at 2 p.m. Monday at Trinity Episcopal Church with the Rev. Terrell H. Warren, rector, officiating.  Burial will be in Forest Lawn Cemetery.
    The Sanborn Funeral home had charge of arrangements.
    Arthur S. Moran Post, American Legion, conducted memorial services at 8 Sunday evening at the funeral home and members of the Camden Fire Dept. called on Sunday afternoon.
    Bearers were Edmund, Richard, Raymond, David, Donald and Everett Price.
    Masonic memorial services were conducted at 3 p.m. Sunday at the Sanborn Funeral Home, and at 8 p.m. the Arthur S. Moran Post, American Legion, conducted services.
    Flowers were received from Central Asphalt Corp., Philanthropic Lodge, F&AM, friends and neighbors, Oneida County Association of Town Superinendents, friends from Grow City Trailer Park, Lakeland, Fla., Arthur S. Moran Post, American Legion, members of the Camden Town Board, Darius Chaper, RAM, employees of the Town of Camden Highway Dept., Elm St. neighbors and friends and relatives.
    Members of Camden Lodge, IOOF, called in a body on Sat. evening and Camden Fire Dept. members called sunday afternoon.

Obituary from Camden Advance Journal:  Thursday, December 25, 1969
Mrs. David Price, 72, Services Conducted
  Mrs. David (Eva) Price, 72, of 39 Elm St., died Thursday at Rome Hospital after a brief illness.
    She was born in Florence July 16, 1897, daughter of Henry and Margaret Hart Roberts, and received her education in area schools.  She and Mr. Price were married on March 23,  1921, in Williamstown.  He died in 1963.  Mrs. Price had lived at the Camden address 45 years.
    She was a member of Trinity Episcopal Church of Camden; its guild and a member of Camden Chapter, OES, for 45 years.
    Surviving is a nephew, Robert Roberts, Westdale.
    Funeral services were held Sunday at the Sanborn funeral home with the Rev. Alden Pearson, rector of Trinity Church, officiating.  Burial will be in Forest Lawn Cemetery.

Obituary for the Camden Advance Journal:  March 23, 1939
Mechanic of Town Highway Department Dies of Pneumonia -- Health to Death in 2 Days
     Death of Charles E. Price at his home on Preston Street at 5 pm Thursday, March 16, 1939, after but 2 days' illness with flu-pneumonia, came as a great shock to his friends and acquaintances throughout the village and town of Camden.  Mr. Price, 40, and in the prime of life, had been a mechanic in the Highway Department of Camden for the last three and a half years.  Tuesday night, when he returned from his day's work he was feeling badly and retired early.  Getting up Wednesday morning he fell to the floor in a semiconscious condition and remained so until death.
     Charles Edmund Price was born in Camden, December 22, 1898, a son of Mrs. Elizabeth Sweet Price, of the Mexico Road and the late Sidney D. Price.  On July 1, 1925, at Fulton he married Miss Minnie M. Woodard, the Rev. William Caldwell performing the ceremony.
     Mr. Price had lived here all his life.  He was a graduate of the Detroit School of Mechanics and was a member of the Trinity Episcopal Church.
     Surviving besides his widow, are his mother; ten children:  Marjorie, Emma, Betty, Barbara, Edmund, Richard, Raymond, David, Everett and Donald; two brothers:  Walter C. Price and David S. Price, both of Camden; 3 sisters Mrs. Charles Congden, North Bay; Mrs. Floyd Scoville, and Miss Celia Price, Camden.  He leaves also several nieces and nephews.
     Profound sympathy of the community goes out to the bereaved family circle.
     The Rev. Alfred Martin, rector of Trinity Episcopal Church, officiated at the funeral serveces for Mr. Price which were largely attended Sunday afternoon at 1 o'clock at the B.A. Sanborn and Son funeral home.
     The pall bearers were Earl Grinell, Herman Walker, Clarence Keil, Thomas Fanning, Wilfred Bliss and Carlson Milliman.
     Relatives and friends from out of town attending the services were Mr. and Mrs. Walter Farnholtz, Little Falls; Mr. and Mrs. Chester Kramer, Manlius; Mr. and Mrs. Raymond Hamilton, Mr. and Mrs. George Best and son, Fulton; Mr. and Mrs. William Wall, Manlius; Mr. and Mrs. James Lybolt, Syracuse; Mrs. Milded Gaffey and son Roy, Syracuse; Mr. and Mrs. Ernest Sweatland, Williamstown; Mr. and Mrs. Guy Congden, Carterville.

Obituary from the Camden Advance Journal:  Jan. 31, 1958
    Mrs. Minnie M. Price, 57 Liberty Street, widow of Charles E. Price, died unexpectedly last Thursday morning at the Oneida County Hospital, Rome, where she had been employed for the past six years as a practical nurse.
     The daughter of Herbert and Minnie Woodard, she was born in Waterbury, VT, Dec. 28, 1901 and was married to Mr. Price July 1, 1925, at Fulton.  The ceremony was performed by the Rev. William M. Caldwell.  Mr. Price died in 1939.
     Mrs. Price, who had resided in Camden since her marriage, was a member of the Trinity Episcopal Church.
     She is survived by five daughters:  Mrs. James Brockway and Mrs. Louis Brockway, both of Cleveland; Mrs. Howard Hummel and Mrs. James Winant, Camden and Miss Barbara Jean Price, at home; six sons, Edmond, Richard, Raymond, David, Everett and Donald Price, all of Camden; a brother, in Waterbury, Vermont; 16 grandchildren and several nieces and nephews.

Camden Advance Journal:  November 9, 1916
Mrs. Redden Died This Morning.
   This morning about 1 o'clock, occurred the death of Mrs. Mary Delight Redden, at her home on Mill St.  It was caused by heart failure.  She had been ill for about 4 weeks.
     Mary Delight Redden was the daughter of Chauncey and Katherine Stowell Wakefield and was born in McConnellsville January 31, 1842.  She was the oldest of 8 children.  Most of her life was spent in Camden and Utica.  She was married to Walter H. Dana in 1862 and they went to Utica to live.  Two children were born to them.  George W. Dana and Mrs. C. S. Rush of New Britain, Conn.  His death occurred in May 1879, after which she returned to Camden to live.  On Aug. 11, 1873, she was married to Peter Redden.  They lived in Sandy Hook, Va., for eight years.  While there, she became a member of the Baptist church.  About a year after they returned to Camden to live, Mr. Redden built the home where she has since resided.  One son was born to them.  Mr. Redden's death occurred May 6, 1907.  Mrs. Redden is survived by three brothers, Alfred and Mathew of Camden and Nathan of California, and two sisters, Mrs. L. Myers of Camden and Mrs. Edith Wakefield of Utica.  Also three children, Geo. W. Dana of Camden, Mrs. C. S. Rush of New Britain, Conn., and Frank J. Redden of Philadelphia, Pa., and a niece, Mrs. C. L. Brinck of Utica.
     The funeral will be held from her late residence, at 3:00 o'clock, Saturday afternoon.
REDDEN - In Camden, N.Y., November 9, 1916, Mrs. Mary D. Redden aged 74 years, 9 months and 9 days.

Camden Advance Journal:  May 8, 1879
     The remains of Walter H. Dana, who died in Utica on Thursday, were brought to Camden Saturday afternoon and buried from the residence of his brother-in-law, N. S. Wakefield, on Fifth street, Sunday afternoon.
DANA -- In Utica, May 1, 1879, Walter H. Dana, Formerly of this town, aged 56 years.

Camden Advance Journal:  November 14, 1889
  Chauncey Wakefield, an old resident of this town, died at the home of his son, A. H. Wakefield, on Mexico street, about 4 o'clock Tuesday afternoon.  Mr. Wakefield, had been out of helath for some time but had a paralytic shock some ten days ago which caused his death.  He was 75 years old.  He leaves several sons and daughters, most of whom reside in this vicinity.  The funeral wil be held at the house at 4 o'clock this afternoon.
WAKEFIELD -- In Camden, N.Y., November 12, 1880, Chauncey Wakefield, aged 75 years.

Camden Advance Journal:  November 29, 1877
WAKEFIELD -- In this place, November 25, 1877, Catherine, wife of Chauncey Wakefield, aged 53 years.
     Mrs. W., for many years a resident of Camden, was much esteemed by a large circle of neigbors and friends.   She was especially a friend to those in trouble and her presence was always welcome in the sick room.  She suffered with much patience through a long sickness, and came to her last  moments with a sweet resignation to her Savior's will.   She was the mother of eight children, all of whom are now living, her own being the first death in the family.  She will be greatly missed in this large household, in which she was truly the center of filial and conjugal love.  As she approached the end, her great longing was to "go home."
"Gone home! Gone home! She lingers here no longer! A restless pilgrim walking painfully, With homesick longing, daily growling stronger, And yearning visions of the joy to be.
 "Gone home! Gone home!  The door through which she vanished Closed with a jar and left us here alone. We stand without, in tears, forlorn and banished. Longing to follow where one loved has gone."

Camden Advance-Journal: December 21, 1922
Alfred H. Wakefield, aged 81 years Cold and Pleurisy Terminated His
Life Tuesday After Week's Illness -- Born in McConnellsville - Resident of this Town 76 Years
      Today at 2 p.m. many old friends are paying their last tribute of respect to A. H Wakefield, whose funeral is held from the home of his foster son, Edward Hughes, on Mill Street where he died.  The Rev. George Makely, pastor of the Presbyterian church, officiates at the services.  John H. Cook, a well known local singer, renders the hymns.  The bearers will be nephews: Henry Wakefield of Camden, Arthur Wakefield of Rome, Charles Wakefield of Chadwick, George W. Dana, Ward Williams and Werner Drought of this village.  Internment will be in the family plot in Forest Park
     Mr. Wakefield contracted a severe cold about a week prior to his death, pleurisy developed and this together with infirmities of age made the struggle to rally too much.  At 12 noon Tuesday he breathed his last.
     Alfred Hazon Wakefield was born in McConnellsville May 18, 1841, but since the age of five years had resided here a period of seventy-six years.  He was a son of Chauncey and Katheryn Wakefield.  When they moved to Camden they located near Russell's Mill.  November 27, 1876 the deceased
married Janet Allen of the Mexico Road and they began married life at her home which became the Wakefield homestead.  Mrs. Wakefield died thirteen years ago last June, and Mr. Wakefield had since lived with his son, coming to their village home six years ago.
     Mr. Wakefield was one of the oldest residents of the Mexico Road.  He was
highly respected and a friend to everybody.
     Besides his foster son, nephews and nieces, he leaves two sisters Mrs. Sarah Moyer, Utica; Mrs. Edith Wakefield, Vernon; and a brother, Nathan Wakefield of California
 WAKEFIELD - In Camden, New York, Dec. 19, 1922, Alfred H Wakefield, aged 81 years, 7 months.

Camden Advance Journal:  June 17, 1909
Mrs. A. H. Wakefield
     On Monday occurred the death of Mrs. A. H. Wakefield at her home about 2 1/2 miles west of this village on the Mexico Road.  On account of feeble health Mr. and Mrs. Wakefield have passed two winters in Rochester with their adopted son, Edward Hughes, and while there last winter Mrs. Wakefield was rendered helpless by creeping paralysis.  For several months she has been an invalid, unable to help herself.  They returned home this spring and Mrs. Hughes has been here assisting in the devoted attention given to her until the end.
    Deceased was born in Lee Center 79 years ago and came to the home where she died 50 years ago.  Thirty-three years ago she was united in marriage to Mr. Wakefield, who survives with an adopted son, Edward Hughes of Rochester.  She was a member of Trinity Episcopal Church of this village.  A host of friends mourn her death, and extend sincere sympathy to the bereaved.
    The funeral was held yesterday afternoon at 2 o'clock from her late home.  Rev. Jabez Ford occiciated.  Mrs. R. C. Knapp and Fred P. Barnes sang.  The bearers were B. H. Stevens, Dhru Hall, Mr. Osborn and S.G. King.   Among the large attendance were Mr. and Mrs. M. D. Wakefield of Bartlett, N.Y..  Burial in Forest Park Cemetery.

Camden Advance Journal:  November 11, 1909
An Honorable and Much Respected Man Who Will Be Greatly Missed -- Had recently Suffered a Stroke of Paralysis -- Funeral Saturday 2:30 p.m.
     At 6 o'clock this morning another of Camden's older and most highly respected citizens, George S. Wakefield, died at his home a few miles west of this village.  The sad news is recived this morning with sorrow.  Although recently he suffered a paralytic stroke, it was not generally known that the end was so near.
     Mr. Wakefield was a great home man, but outside of his family circle all who knew him realize that an honorable, upright, conscientious man had laid down the burdens of this life.  He has spent all his life in this vicinity and 42 years on the farm wher he died.  His birht occurred in McConnellsville Aug. 13, 1846.  His parents were Chauncey and Catherine (Stowell) Wakefield.  Forty-two years ago he married Rachel Colgrove, who now survives with the following children: Henry S. of Utica, Chas. W. of Chadwicks, Arthur M. of Camden; two stepdaughters, Mrs. Ida M. Kent of Chadwicks, Mrs. Josephine E. Roedell of Utica.  He also leaves six sisters and brothers: Mrs. Mary Reden, Mrs. L. B. Moyer, albert H. Wakefield of Camden, M. D. Wakefield of Barlett, Nathan S. Wakefield of California, Mrs. Edith Wakefield of Utica.
    In young manhood deceased was converted and united with the M. E. church.
   The funeral will be held Saturday at 2:30 from the homestead.  Rev. John Richards of Syracuse to officiate.
WAKEFIELD -- In Camden, N.Y., Nov. 11, 1909, George S. Wakefield, aged 63 years.

Camden Advance Journal:  January 22, 1925
Former Business Man Here, Who Has Been in California Many Years, Victim of Paralysis.
     Regrettable news comes from California this week saying Nathan Stowell Wakefield died Januray 10 at his home 2903 Guirado Street, Los Angeles.  He was aged 76 years.  Mr.  Wakefield was a former business man of Camden and he and his family were among the leading citizens here forty to fifty years ago.
     Information gleaned reveals the fact that he suffered a stroke of paralysis five years ago and had not been able to attend to business since then.  Monday and Tuesday before Christmas he had two more severe strokes which resulted in death at the time stated.
     Mr. Wakefield was associated with the business life of Camden for more than twenty years.  For 17 years he was with the shoe firm of Williams, Lock and Barber and afterwards established a shoe business for himself in the store now occupied by the Victory Chain.  He married Emma Wells, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. William C. Wells, the ceremony taking place in the First Congregational church Febuary 24, 1871, nearly fifty-four years ago.  Mrs. Wakefield survives, with three daughters, Mrs. Lulu W. Parker, Mrs. Bertha Hunter,  Mrs. Alida Van Tilberg, all of Los Angeles.  He also leaves three grandchildren.  The two first mentioned daughters and another, who has since passed away, were born in Camden.
     The funeral was held at 10 o'clock Monday, January 12, and interment made in Evergreen cemetery at Los Angeles.  The service was most impressive.  A harp was played softly through the services and the singing was accompanied by the harp.  There was a wealth of beautiful flowers.
     Mrs. Wakefield and family in their great loss, will have the sympathy of many old friends here.
WAKEFIELD -- In Los Angeles, California, January 10, 1925, Nathan Stowell Wakefield, aged 76 years.

Camden Advance Journal:  July 28, 1921
Esteemed Gentleman and Fine Citizen Whose Death is Mouned by All.
     At four o'clock last Thursday afternoon death removed an esteemed gentleman, Mr. Mathew D. Wakefield, aged almost seventy years.  He suffered a paralytic shock early Tuesday morning at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Hugh Wasson on Cemetery St., where he had been visiting for a week, and  he never gained consciousness.  He had been in poor heatlh for a long time, and after the passing away of his wife on December 21, 1920, had greatly mourned her loss.
     Mr. Wakefield was a son of  Chauncy Wakefield and Catherine Stowell Wakefield, born in Camden August 16, 1851, practically all of his life being spent here.  When a young boy he moved to Annsville with his parents but after a short time they returned to Camden.
     His marriage with Miss Ella Swanson occurred in young manhood.   Several years ago they sold their farm in the country to Frank Johnson, going to Vernon, where they bought  another splendid farm.  Mr. Wakefield devoted his life to farming, and met with great success at this occupation.  He was of a quiet but very friendly dispositon and always most devoted to his home.  Many years ago he united with the Camden Presbyterian church.
     Besides one daughter, Mrs. Edward Wellman of Durhamville, he leaves two brothers and two sisters, Nathan Wakefield, whose home is in California, Alfred Wakefield of Camden, Mrs. Edith Wakefield of Vernon and Mrs. Sarah Moyer of Utica; five grandchildren and several nephews and nieces.
     The funeral  was attended two o'clock Sunday afternoon from the home of Mr. and Mrs. Hugh Wasson, Rev. George McCulloch, pastor of the Presbyterian church, officiating.  The bearers were nephews of the deceased:  Charles Wakefield, Arthur Wakefield, Henry Wakefield and Geo. W. Dana, and burial was made in the family plot in Forest Park cemetery.
     Among those present at the service from out of town were Mr. and Mrs. Edward Wellman and family, Mrs. Edith Wakefield, her daughter and husband, and Mr. and Mrs. Leets from Vernon; Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Wakefield from Rome; Mrs. Sarah Moyer from Utica; Mr. and Mrs. Chas. Wakefield and family from Chadwicks; Mr. and Mrs. A. W. Swanson from Eastland, Tex.; Mr. and Mrs. Giles Walker and Mr. and Mrs. Glen Walker and family from Westmoreland.
WAKEFIELD - In Camden, N.Y., July 21, 1921, Mathew D. Wakefield, aged nearly 70 years.

Camden Advance Journal:  December 23, 1920
Their Deaths Bring Sorrow to Many in the Old Home Town -- Mrs. Wakefield Passed Away Tuesday Morning in Rome -- A Refined, Christian Lady Who was Greatly Beloved by All Who Knew Her.
      With general regret and sorrow the people of this community learn that Mrs. M. D. Wakefield, a native and almost life-long resident of Camden, died at the home of her stepfather, George M. Johnson, 232 Harrison St., Rome, at 9 o'clock Tuesday morning.  She fell in the garden at her home in Cooper street, Vernon, last August, injuring her left leg so badly that she had since been obliged to go about with a crutch and a cane until seven weeks ago, when she became unable to walk, and she was taken to the Broad Street Hospital, Oneida, where examination disclosed that the bone of her leg had become diseased, the effects of which caused her death.  She was removed from the hospital to the home of Mr. and Mrs. Johnson on Dec. 13.
     Mrs. Wakefield's maiden name was Ella M. Swanson.  She was born near Camden, Sept. 16, 1856, a daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. James Swanson.  Her father was a member of the 146th Regiment and was killed in the Civil War.  Her mother married Mr. Johnson in 1867, her death occurring in Rome thirty-four years ago.
     Nearly all of her life was spent in Camden, where forty-eight years ago on Thanksgiving day she married Mr. Wakefield, they continuing their residence here, being engaged in farming until three years ago, when they purchased a fine farm at Vernon, making their home there since.  She has been a member of the Camden Presbyterian church for more than thirty years.  Besides the husband and stepfather, there survive a daughter, Mrs. E. N. Wellman of Durhamville, a sister, Mrs. Emma Drury of Utica, and five grandchildren.
 WAKEFIELD - In Rome, N.Y., December 21, 1920, Mrs. M. D. Wakefield, formerly of Camden, in her 65th year.

Camden Advance Journal:  November 8, 1888
     Mr. and Mrs. Matthew Wakefield have the sympathy of the community in the death of their son Willard, a boy of ten years, which occurred at midnight Sunday, after an illness of only two or three days.  The funeral was attended at the residence near Preston Hill, yesterday afternoon, Rev. A. W. Allen officiating.
WAKEFIELD - In Camden, N.Y., Nov. 4, 1888, Willie J., son of Matthew Wakefield, aged 10 years.

Camden Advance Journal:  November 14, 1878
SWANSON - In Herkimer, November 7, 1878, of diptheria, Belle Swanson, daughter of Mrs. George Johnson, of this village, aged 18 years, 4 months and 18 days.

Camden Advance Journal:  December 9, 1886
Death of Mrs. Johnson.
   Mrs. Mary E., wife of George M. Johnson, formerly of Camden, died in Rome at an early hour Friday morning, in the 49th year of her age.  She had been ailing for the past 8 or 9 years with an internal tumor, but she did not take to her bed until about 3 months ago.  Being aware that the tumor, if allowed to remain would soon cause her death, and feeling that there was a chance to save her life by its removal, Mrs. Johnson decided to undergo a surgical operation, which was performed Tuesday of last week.  After the operation the patient gradually sank away till death came.  Mrs. Johnson was born in this town, where she resided until about five years ago, when she removed to Rome.  She leaves, besides her husband, two daughters, Mrs. E. T. Drury of Utica and Mrs. Matthew Wakefield of Camden and a sister Mrs. Thomas Whitford of Brooklyn.  The remains were brought to Camden Monday, and the funeral service was attended Tuesday afternoon from Trinity church, of which she had long been a worthy member.  Her remains repose in our beautiful rural cemetery, but her enduring monument is in the good works she has left, the fruitage of a life consecrated to God.

Camden Advance Journal:  Thursday, February 19, 1891
  Mrs. Ann widow of the late George Swanson, died at the residence of her daughter, Mrs. James Grinnell, on Dunbar street, Friday afternoon, in the 65th year of her age.  Mrs. Swanson had been an invalid for many years, seven years confined to the house, and for the last two or three years bed-ridden and perfectly helpless.  During this time she has been faithfully cared for and ministered to by a most dutiful and loving daughter.  She was a cheerful and patient sufferer, and until within a few days of her death retained her mental faculities.  For 22 years she was a consistent member of the Presbyterian church, and her trust in her God sustained her through the years of special suffering and trial which have been her lot, and those who knew and loved her best can only rejoice, while they mourn, that she has gone to rest.  Beside her daughter she leaves four sons, Frank of this place, Dr. J. W. of Springfield, Otsego county, Geo. W., employed on the West Shore railroad, and Alexander of Bradford, Pa.  Three brothers and a sister, Geo. H. Wilson of Taberg, William and John Wilson of Indiana and Mrs. Geo. Moore of Syracuse, also survive.  The funeral was held at the residence at 2 p.m. Sunday, conducted by Rev. Jabez Ford, and the long procession which followed the body to the grave attested the esteem in which deceased was held in the community.
SWANSON - In Camden, N.Y., February 13, 1891, Anne, relict of the late George Swanson, aged 64 years.

Camden Advance Journal:  Thursday, July 17, 1913
Former Camdenite, Whose Remains Were Brought Here For Funeral and Burial Yesterday.
 At 8 o'clock Monday evening, at the home of his daughter Mrs. Charles Miller, near Bartlett, occurred the death of Frank W. Swanson, who was born in  Camden and lived here most of his life.  His health began to fail last January and in May he was obliged to resign as Rural Mail Carrier on Route 5 out of Rome, a position he had held for some time.
     Mr. Swanson's parents were the late Mr. and Mrs. George Swanson and he was born in Camden 62 years ago.  For 11 years he was employed in the Oneida County Home, serving at different times as ward attendant, night watchman and cook.  he worked there during the administrations of Louis Mittermaier and C. D. Smith.  Mr. Swanson was a member of the Masonic Lodge of Camden, was widely acquainted throughout the county and had a large circle of friends who regret that he has passed away.  December 28, 1870, he married Miss Polly Wilson of Camden, who survives, also one son, Roy of Rome, and the daughter, Mrs. Miller and three brothers, Clark Swanson, of Independence, Kan., Dr. John Swanson, of Springfield Center, N.Y., and George, who lives in the west.
     C. F. Ward was called to Bartlett to care for the remains, which he brought on Tuesday to his home on Miner avenue, where the funeral was held yesterday at 2 p.m.   Rev. E. F. Rippey officiated.  There were many beautiful flowers and the singing of the service was by Mr. Fred Barnes, with Mrs. Charles E. Hendley as accompanist.  The bearers were W. W. Elden, Will H. Garlick, S. T. W. Scoville and James H. Grinnell.  Burial was made in the family plot in Forest Park cemetery.
     From out of town attending the services were Mr. and Mrs. Charles Miller of Bartlett,  Mr. and Mrs. Roy Swanson of Rome, Dr. and Mrs. John Swanson of Richfield Springs, George H. Wilson of Mexico, C.G. Wilcox of DePere, Wis., Mrs. Arthur Small of Rome, Mrs. Henry Littler of Syracuse, Mr. and Mrs. Irvin Stanford and M. D. Wakefield of Bartlett.
     Mrs. Swanson, wife of deceased, who is in very poor health, was unable to be present.
SWANSON - In Bartlett, N.Y., July 14, 1913, Frank W. Swanson, formerly of Camden aged 62 years.

Camden Advance Journal:  August 30, 1928
Dr. J. W. Swanson Dies at 76 Years
44 Years in One Location
Past Masonic Master & Representative Citizen of Springfield Center -- Funeral Tomorrow Afternoon.
   Dr. John Walter Swanson, 76, who spent his early life in Camden, died Monday night in a hospital at Springfield Center, N.Y., where he had been a well known physician for the past forty-four years.  Heart disease was the cause of death.
     Mr. Swanson was born in Carterville but moved with his parents to Camden when a child.  He first began to study medicine with the late Dr. Robert Frazier of this village.  His medical education was completed at the University of Buffalo.  Mr. Swanson left Camden 53 years ago, but from time to time had been back to renew friendships.  He was a man of splendid character and was widely known, being a leader in the medical profession of Otsego county.  He was one of the oldest members and past president of the Ostego County Medical Society.  He was also a member and past master of Evergreen Lodge, F.&A.M., of Springfield Center, and a leading citizen of that community.
     Mr. Alex W. Swanson of Camden, a brother of Dr. Swanson, is now the last survivor of the family.  He is also survived by his wife, one daughter, Miss Belle Swanson of New York; one son, Fred Swanson, of Oakland, California; three grandchildren, Harold Ely and two children of Mr. and Mrs. Fred Swanson.
     The funeral will be held at Springfield Center, Friday afternoon, at 2 o'clock.

Camden Advance Journal:  September 22, 1898
who was stricken with paralysis last spring, died on Thursday afternoon last, about 4 o'clock, at her residence on Second street.  For months she has been a patient and helpless sufferer.
     Mrs. Grinnell was a native of Camden born 45 years ago and was the only daughter of the late George Swanson.  She had spent most of her life in this town.  For many years she had conducted a millinery store in this village and was successful and popular in the business, and had a wide circle of patrons and friends.  Her death will be deeply mourned not only by the sorrowing husband, daughter and brothers, but by all who knew her many estimable qualities as a wife, mother and true friend.  Beside her husband she leaves one daughter, Mrs. Henry G. Littler of Syracuse and four brothers, Dr. J. W. Swanson of Springfield Center, Frank W. Swanson of Rome, Alexander Swanson of Mexico, N.Y. and George Swanson who resides in the west.
     The funeral was held from the residence of Second street last Sunday at 3 p.m.  The attendance was large.  The services were conducted by Rev. Edward Evans, pastor of the Congregational Church, assisted by Rev. E. N. Manley.  The bearers were the husand and three brothers, Dr. John W. , Frank W. and Alexander Swanson.  The remains were interred in Camden cemetery.
     Among those from out of town present at the funeral were Dr. J. W. Swanson and family of Springfield, F. W. Swanson and family of Rome, Mr. and Mrs. Alex Swanson and Mr. and Mrs. G. H. Wilson of Mexico, Mrs. Mary Wasson of Pulaski, Miss McAllister, Mrs. Anna Snibbey, William and Miss Daisy Moore, Syracuse.
GRINNELL - In Camden, N.Y., Sept. 15, 1898, Catherine Swanson, wife of James H. Grinnell, aged 45 years.

Camden Advance Journal:  Thursday, July 22, 1943
Alex W. Swanson, 82, Found Dead in Bed
Retired Expert in Oil, Mason and Fine Fellow -- Funeral Friday at 2 P.M.
     The sudden passing away of Alexander W. Swanson, 82, removes from the village one of its most genial and well-liked men.  Mr. Swanson was found dead in bed yesterday morning at the Bell Healthforte where he had resided since last March.  He was about town Tuesday as usual and drove his car.
     This well known citizen was born in the town of Amboy Mar. 26, 1861, a son of the late George and Ann Wilson Swanson.  When he was one year of age he came with his parents to Camden where his father became a leading citizen and for the remainder of his active days conducted a thriving lumber mill business.  The Swanson mills were located on Mill Street, a landmark for half a century but today not a vestige of mills or dam is left.
     During his school days and for some time after, "young Alex," as he was called, worked for his father in the lumber business.  Oct. 7, 1880, he married Teresa O'Rourke of Camden and the following year he and his wife left for Bradford, Pa., where he had become interested in the development of oil wells.  He remained ther 15 years, later being employed by oil companies in several western states.  At one time he owned an oil business.  His principal places of residence had been at Tulsa, Okla.; Tucson, Ariz., and at time of retirement in 1924 he was engaged in Texas.  He then returned to Camden and bought a beautiful new bungalow on the Taberg road, but later sold this and moved to the corner of Second and Washington Streets,  a property he retained up to his death.  His wife died Jan. 24, 1942.
     Mr. Swanson was an attendant of the Episcopal Church.  He was a Mason, member of Bellevue Lodge 530, F. & M., of Bellue, Pa.  For years he had been a member of the Shriners and Commandery in the west.  He was also a member of Darius Chapter, R. A. M., Camden.
     He was the last of his father's family.  His nearest surviving relatives are two nephews, Roy W. Swanson, Rome; Fred Swanson, Los Angeles, Calif.; a niece, Mrs. Kittie Miller, Rome; and a cousin Hugh Wasson, Camden.
     The funeral is to be held Friday afternoon at 2 o'clock at the J. Floyd Smith Funeral Home in Miner Avenue, with the Rev. Frederic L. Bradley, rector of Trinity Episcopal Church, officiating.
     The Masonic committal service will be conducted at the grave, with Worshipful Master Nathan E. Olmstead and Chaplain George S. Philpott of Philanthropic Lodge in charge.
     Interment will be in the family lot in Forest Park Cemetery.  Bearers are to be John A. Litts, Charles A. Johnson, T. T. Smith, Roy Orton, Eben W. Carle and John E. Eastham.
     Alex will long be remembered by his friends -- and they were many.  The death of Mrs. Swanson early  last year severed marital relations of nearly 62 years.

Camden Advance Journal:  1942
Mrs. A. W. Swanson 83, Passes Away; Long Time Ill
Former Teresa O'Rourke, Native of Camden -- Funeral Held Tuesday in Smith's Funeral Home.
     A marital record of over 61 years came to a close at 8:30 o'clock Saturday morning, Jan. 24, 1942, when Teresa O'Rourke Swanson, wife of Alexander W. Swanson, passed away in their home at 77 Second St.  Mrs. Swanson, a remarkable, genial woman, had suffered from an illness that had extended over a period of several years.
     Daughter of the late Michael and Mary Campbell O'Rourke, the deceased was born in the town of Camden June 27, 1858, and was the last survivor of 17 boys and girls in the O'Rourke family.  Her father and five brothers fought for the Union in the Civil War.
     Teresa O'Rourke became the wife of Mr. Swanson Oct. 7, 1880, the ceremony being performed in this village.  The following year, Mr. Swanson being interested in the development of oil wells in Pennsylvania, they located in Bradford, they afterward resided in a number of western states where he followed his work with various oil companies, finally retiring and returning to Camden in 1922.
     For their home they bought a new modern bungalow, the present Painter home, on the Taberg road and lived there until 1937, when they disposed of that property and bought the Baker home, corner of Second and Washington Streets.
     Mrs. Swanson was a member of Trinity Episcopal Church and of Tulsa Chapter, 133, O.E.S., Tulsa, Oklahoma, in which city they lived many years.
     Besides her husband she leaves a number of nieces and nephews.
    The Rev. Alfred Martin, Trinity Church rector, officiated at the final rites held Tuesday afternoon at 2 o'clock in the J. Floyd Smith Funeral Home.  Mrs. Leland Scoville played before and after the service.  The bearers were Roy W. Swanson, Joseph O'Rourke, Willis O'Rourke, Manley O'Rourke, Charles E. McLellan, M. Earl Eastham.  Burial was in Forest Park Cemetery.
     In attendance from out of town were Mrs. Kittie Miller, Mr. and Mrs. Roy W. Swanson, Mrs. Harry VanVleck, Mrs. Mary McMarra, all of Rome; Miss Margaret Wilson, Mr. and Mrs. Clark Hopper, Taberg; Mrs. Harlow Link, Blossvale; Mrs. O. A. Manzer, Turin; Mr. and Mrs. Willis O'Rourke, Blossvale.

Camden Advance Journal:  Thursday, November 7, 1901
Mrs. Hugh Wasson Expired Last Evening, in Her 76th Year.
  Just before 6 o'clock last evening, Margaret, relict of the late Hugh Wasson peacefully passed to her final rest, at her home on Miner avenue, in the 76th year of her age.  Mrs. Wasson had until recently been feeling fairly well for an aged person.  Last Sunday morning she was in attendance at the Presbyterian church, and was taken ill and conveyed home before the service was over.  She had gradually failed and grown weaker until the end last night.
     Margaret Swanson was born in Ayrshire, Scotland, and was a daughter of the late William Swanson.  She came to America with her parents when a child, and they settled in Hillsboro, in this town.  She later married Hugh Wasson and lived in Amboy, Oswego county, for many years, in which town her husband died in April, 1887.  Mrs. Wasson purchased the Edgerton place on Miner avenue, and with her children became a resident of this village 8 years ago last February.
     Mrs. Wasson was a member of the Presbyterian church in this village, and was an earnest and consistent christian.  She leaves many friends and neighbors in Camden and Amboy who will testify of the goodness and helpfulness of this worthy and most excellent woman.
     She leaves four children, two sons and two daughters, William of Pulaski, Hugh, Margaret and Jane of this village and two brothers, William and John Swanson of Camden, all of whom revere the memory of a loving and devoted mother and affectionate sister.
     The funeral will be held at 1 p.m. Saturday from the home on Miner avenue, Rev. Richard Abbott to officiate.  Interment in Amboy.

Camden Advance Journal:  Thursday, April 7, 1887
Sudden Death.
  Hugh Wasson of Amboy, a brother-in-law of George Swanson of this village, came to Camden Friday morning with some cattle and took dinner at Mr. Swanson's.  He was in apparently usual health, but on returning home that afternoon complained of feeling sick.  His wife supposing he was suffering from a sick-headache, to attacks of which he was subject, started to prepare a remedy, but he said the trouble was in his chest, and almost immediately fell from his chair dead.  The funeral is attended today.

Camden Advance Journal:  December, 1904
William Swanson, a Well Known and Highly Respected Citizen, Who Expired Saturday, aged 76 Years.
  William Swanson, a well known resident of this town, died at his home, 19 Union St., at 1:30 Saturday morning, Dec. 24th, a general breaking down and complication of diseases being the cause of death.
     Mr. Swanson was the oldest of a family of six children of William and Margaret Swanson, and was born May 8, 1828, during the voyage of his parents to America.  They located in Lockport, but four years later came to Camden.  He was married fifty-one years ago to Miss Margaret Morton of Chester, Pa.  He was a model citizen of Camden and had the good will and esteem of all who enjoyed his acquaintances.
     During his boyhood he joined the Presbyterian church.  Feb. 3, 1884, he united with the Presbyterian church of Camden.  In 1890 he was elected an elder, which office he has filled faithfully ever since.  He had held offices of the town, the past two years serving as collector.  He was well liked because of his honesty and integrity.
     He is survived by a widow and tow sons, Eugene of Batavia, Maurice of Camden, and four grandchildren, Mrs. Henry Wakefield of Chadwicks, Mrs. Frank Remore of Saratoga, Pearl and Grace of Camden.  One brother, John Swanson of this town, also remains.
     He had been ailing for the last five weeks, but was seriously ill the past week at which time he took to his bed.
     The funeral was held from his late home at 2 p.m. Tuesday, Rev. Richard Abbott officiating, assisted by Rev. E. N. Manley, the latter making apporpriate remarks on the exemplary life of deceased.  The entire service was very impressive.  From out of town were present Eugene Swanson of Batavia, John Swanson and Mrs. Milton Eastham of Canton, Mr. and Mrs. Henry Wakefield of Chadwick, and Mr. and Mrs. Frank Remore of Saratoga.  Interment in Forest Park cemetery.

Camden Advance Journal:  July 27, 1916
Widow of Deacon William Swanson Who Died in 1904 -- Deceased Passed Away in Batavia at Son's Home Where She Had Lived for Three Years -- A Descendant of Colonial Stock.
     On Friday afternoon, July 21st, at 11:10, at the home of her son, A. E. Swanson of Batavia, occurred the death of Mrs. Margaret Swanson.  Death was due to a general breakdown.  Mrs. Swanson was the widow of the late William Swanson and was formerly Margaret Morton, daughter of Daniel T. and Charlotte Morton.  She was born Nov. 11, 1836 in Philadelphia, Pa.  When 12 years of age, she came with her parents overland, by team, from Philadelphia and they located near Carterville.  In 1853, she was married to Wm. Swanson of Hillsboro.  Soon after their marriage, they moved to Camden and resided on Union street, where Mr. Swanson's death occurred in 1904.  For many years before his death, he was deacon of the Presbyterian church and Mrs. Swanson was also a faithful member of that church.  Mrs. Swanson was a descendant of colonial stock and a signer of the Declaration of Independence on the Morton side.  Two sons were born to them.  She is survived by one son, A. E. Swanson of Batavia, with whom she has lived for the last three years of her life and a sister, Mrs. Eliza Morse of Cleveland, and a brother, Lewis Morton of New York Mills.  Also four grandchildren, Mrs. Henry Wakefield and Grace Taylor of Camden, Mrs. Frank Reymore of Chenango Forks, and Mrs. James O'Brien of Taberg.
     The funeral was held at her son's home Sunday at 2:00 p.m. and the remains were brought here, Monday afternoon for interment in Forest Park Cemetery and were accompanied by Mr. and Mrs. A. E. Swanson.  A short service was held at the home of her granddaughter, Mrs. Grace Taylor on Second St.  The Rev. L. G. Colson officiated.  The bearers were her nephews, Hugh Wasson, Milton Eastham, Fred Swanson, and grandson, Henry Wakefield.  Those from out-of-town who were here for the funeral were Mr. and Mrs. A. E. Swanson of Batavia, Mrs. Cornella E. Morton, Canastota; and Mr. and Mrs. James O'Brien of Taberg.
SWANSON - In Batavia, N.Y., July 21, 1916, Mrs. Margaret Swanson, widow of Wm. Swanson, late of Camden, aged nearly 80 years.

Camden Advance Journal:  Thursday, January 28, 1909
Was Engage in Driving Cattle to Town -- Had Gone Only About Half a Mile When the Exertion Over-Powered His Heart -- Died in the Road About Midway Between Elden and Grinnell Farms on Dunbar St. -- Had Been Troubled With His Heart.
      Another forcible illustration of the uncertainty of life has been brought before the people of Camden in the death of Maurice Swanson, whose life departed in a twinkling Monday at 2:30 p.m., in the highway near the W.W. Elden farm.   Mr. Swanson was the picture or health, always cheery and in excellent spirits, and this sudden termination of his career is a shock from which his friends will slowly recover.
      Since an illness two years ago he had suffered to some extent from his heart, though on the day of his death he had performed the daily duties about his barns, drove to the milk station in the morning ate a hearty dinner, and about two o'clock started to drive some cattle to town with Irving Wilcox.  Such work requires more or less activity, and when he left the yard he made aremark that "it took all the wind he had."   They had progressed toward town to a point on Dunbar road, where the Schneider-Keiser highway intersects, when he suddenly fell, dead.
      Dr. W. D. Towsley was summoned to the scene and he secured the services of Artheu McLaughlin and conveyance at the Elden farm and removed the remains to the dead man's home.  Corner Hubbard was called and came to town Tuesday morning at 10 o'clock.  After investigating the circumstances with Dr. Towsley he corroborated the theory that death had been caused by cardiac paralysis.
      Maurice W. Swanson was a native of Camden and was born her 52 years ago.  His father, the late William Swanson, died several years ago.  His mother is Mrs. Marguerite Swanson, who at present resides with her sister at Maple Flats.   Deceased was a man of excellent habits, and greatly devoted to his family.  He had devoted his time to farming, and took great pride in his farm and cosy surroundings.  For a great many years he had been a faithful member of the First Presbyterian church.
      Besides his wife and mother his death is keenly mourned by four daughters:  Mrs. Henry Wakefield of Utica, Mrs. Frank Reymore of Chenango Forks, Mrs. James O'Brien of  Herkimer and Mrs. Grace Taylor, who resides at home.  One brother, Eugene Swanosn of Batavia, also survives, to all of whom a wide circle of friends extend sympathy.
     Mrs. Swanson was formerly Miss Lucy Redmond, and their marriage occurred about thirty years ago.
     The funeral will be held tomorrow morning at 11 o'clock from the family residence on the Dunbar road, Rev. W. P. Moody, pastor of the First Presbyterian church officiating.  Interment will be made in Forest Park Cemetery.
SWANSON - In Camden, N.Y., Jan. 25, 1909, Maurice Swanson, aged 52 yrs.

Camden Advance Journal:  December 4, 1930
 Word has been received here of the death at Batavia, recently, of Adelbert Eugene Swanson, 76, formerly of Camden.
     Mr. Swanson, who was a merchant tailor, was born in this village, a son of the late William and Margaret Newton Swanson.  He moved to Batavia when 19 years of age.  Besides his widow, Mrs. Rose Schendler Swanson, of Batavia, he leaves several nieces here.